90g cake flour
30g corn flour
¾ tsp baking powder
4 egg yolks
¼ tsp salt
¾ tsp vanilla essence
70g corn oil
80g fresh milk
4 egg white
½ tsp cream of tartar
Line a 7” x 7” x 3" or two 7" x 7" x 1.5" square tin with greaseproof paper.
Preheat oven at 180°C.
1. Sift the cake flour, corn flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
2. Whisk the egg yolks, salt, sugar and vanilla essence until slightly creamy.
3. Add in the corn oil and fresh milk and whisk until mixture is blended.
4. Fold in the sifted flour into the egg yolk mixture until well blended.
5. Using a stand mixer, add the egg white into a clean mixing bowl.
6. Start on low speed and add in the cream of tarter when the egg white mixture turns foamy.
7. Increase speed gradually to maximum. When soft peak forms, start add the sugar in a steady stream.
8. Beat until egg white mixture is shiny and stiff peak forms. Do not over beat. Gradually reduce the speed until low to relax the egg white mixture.
9. Spoon a third of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture and fold gently to lighten and incorporate the two mixtures together.
10. Add in the balance egg white mixture into the above mixture and fold gently using the scoop, turn and fold method. Stop when it is well blended. Do not overfold or the egg white will deflate.
11. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and put into the oven.
12. Bake at 180°C for about 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
13. Remove from oven to cool on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing the cake from the tin to continue cooling, top side up.