I love the fragrance of coffee and I'm a coffee drinker. After having perfected the chocolate muffins (according to my preference, haha ...), I want to create a mocha flavoured muffin. Imagine the flavour of chocolate and coffee blended into one and having it with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Heavenly, isn't it? I used a little cocoa powder dissolved into some boiling water to create a hint of chocolate flavour. For the coffee flavour, I used instant coffee granules dissolved in boiling water and a small cup of freshly brewed espresso. No butter can be found in this muffin. Only corn oil. Healthy and delicious, isn't it?
160g cake flour
65g plain flour
250g brown sugar
½ tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
140g corn oil
2 large eggs
12g cocoa powder
40g hot water
24g instant coffee granules
40g hot water
Line one 12-hole or two 6-hole muffin pans with cupcake liners.
Pre-heat oven at 220°C.
1. Mix cocoa powder into 40g of hot water and whisk gently to dissolve the cocoa powder. Leave aside to cool.
2. Dissolve 24g of instant coffee granules into 40g of hot water. Leave aside to cool.
3. Sift cake flour, plain flour, baking soda and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
4. Add in the brown sugar to the flour mixture above and whisk gently to mix evenly.
5. Pour corn oil, 3/4 each of cocoa mixture, instant coffee mixture, buttermilk and espresso into flour-sugar mixture above. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
6. Gently whisk the 2 eggs with the remaining cocoa, instant coffee mixture, espresso and buttermilk.
7. Pour into the flour mixture in Step 5. Mix gently until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix.
8. Spoon the mixture into the muffin pans. Enough to spoon 10 full muffins or 12 ¾ full muffins.
9. Put into the oven. Bake at 220°C for first 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C and bake for the next 15-18min or until a tester inserted into the muffin comes out clean.