Coffee Walnut Muffins
70g plain flour
30g cake four
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
4 tsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 30ml hot water
1 large egg at room temperature
65g caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
45g unsalted butter, melted
50g fresh milk
Handful of lightly toasted walnuts
Pre-heat oven at 200 degree celsius.
Line a 6-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners
- Sift the 2 flours, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- In another bigger mixing bowl, beat the egg and caster sugar until creamy. Add in the vanilla extract, cooled coffee mixture, melted butter and fresh milk. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture above. Using a rubber spatula, mix until all the ingredients are just incorporated. Add in some of the walnuts (leave some for decorating the top of muffins) and mix gently. Do not overmix or you will end up with tough muffins.
- Scoop the dough into each cupcake liner, filling it up to the brim.
- Sprinkle each muffin with whole walnuts.
- Bake at 200 degree celsius for the first 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180 degree celsius and bake for the next 15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave them to cool on wire racks.