Friday, December 6, 2013

Bouchon Bakery-Style Dark Chocolate Cookies


Chanced upon this recipe in one the books I borrowed from the library. This is quite a good book but I can't remember the title. Will have to go look for it again next time I visit the library. I was attracted by the word Bouchon Bakery and the author's write-up about the cookies. The cookies were sure mouthwatering and decadent. You just cannot stop at one.

The recipe asked for molasses which I substituted with maple syrup because I did not have that ingredient. Another ingredient that I substituted was the gourmet quality chocolate morsels. Instead of looking for this particular ingredient, I used Kagi mini chocolate wafers which I bought from the supermarket a few days ago. I loved this wafer the moment I put one in my mouth. Better than "Have a break, have a kit kat". I would say the addition of this wafer gave a different texture to the cookie. You can hear the crunch when you bite into it. Crunch ......... And you will love the texture of this cookie - crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Have it with a glass of cold milk or a cup of hot coffee. Enjoy!



Bouchon Bakery-Style Dark Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose white flour (I converted to 100g plain flour)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder (46g)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, cut into chunks, softened (142g)
2/3 cup brown sugar (132g)
2 tbsp caster sugar (27g)
2 tsp molasses (I replaced with maple syrup)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg at room temperature
100g 70% bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
100g gourmet quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate morsels (I replaced with Kagi mini chocolate wafers)

Preparation:
Position a rack in the middle of the oven.
Preheat oven to 175 degree celsius.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Method:
  1. In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
  2. In another mixing bowl on medium speed, beat the butter until creamy and smooth, about 1 minute.
  3. Add in the brown sugar, caster sugar, molasses and vanilla extract. Beat until mixture is thoroughly incorporated and well blended.
  4. Beat in the egg until thoroughly incorporated.
  5. Add in the flour mixture and stir using a rubber spatula or beat until just incorporated. Do not overbeat or the cookies will be tough.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chunks and wafers.
  7. Leave the mixture in the fridge to harden a little if the dough is too soft.
  8. Using a medium size ice-cream scoop, scoop the dough into a round ball and flatten it slightly using your fingers. Place them about 3 inches apart.
  9. Bake for about 10-12 min, just until the cookies are beginning to feel firm when pressed at the edges. Be careful not to overbake. Rotate the baking sheets halfway through baking.
  10. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool before storing them in air-tight containers.
Makes about 25 2" - 2.5" sized cookies






No comments:

You might also like this:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...