Saturday, June 1, 2013

Banana Cake - light, fluffy and moist


I have 3 ripe bananas resting on the kitchen countertop. I have actually bought the bananas for my son's classmates who came over to do a project. But none of them ate the healthy and nutritious fruit. I bet if I have potato chips on the table, they will be all gone in seconds. I have used it to make peanut butter banana sandwich (try it if you have never made one for yourself; it's yummylicious). I can think of only one way of consuming them before they are stashed away in the rubbish bin - Banana Cake. Yes ....

This is not the first time I have baked banana cake. I used the recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible. It's nice and tasty but I find it a little too moist and heavy. I wanted something light, moist and fluffy like a chiffon cake texture. I started to google the web and found what I want on on Wen's Delight. I liked the ingredients being used and altered the recipe to add a little sourcream and reduce the corn oil. The verdict - soft, light, fluffy, moist and flavourful. My teenage son finished 2 slices at one go and had another one 2 hours later. Go ahead and try.

Banana Cake (Adapted from Wen's Delight)

Ingredients:
3 Eggs (Room temp - Approx 150g)
130g Sugar (Reduced, original-150g)
200g Banana (Ripe; cut into small pcs)
20g sourcream (I added this)

150g Top Flour (or plain flour/superlite flour/cake flour)
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 + 1/8 tsp Baking soda (original is 1/4 tsp)

85g Corn oil (original is 100g)
1/4 tsp vanilla essence (I added this)

Preparation:
Grease and line a 7" x 3" round pan. Or you can also use a 8" x 2" round baking pan.
Preheat oven to 160 degree celsius.

Method:
1. Sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Sieve twice and set aside.

2. Whisk eggs, sugar and banana at max. speed till stiff/ribbon stage. (For Kenwood Chef - approx 10-13mins)
3. Fold in flour mixture and mix well. (Can use spatula or hand to mix)
4. Add in oil and mix well till batter is shiny and flowing.
5. Bake for 40 - 45mins.



No comments:

You might also like this:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...