Sunday, March 6, 2011

Devil's Food Cake

It's my mum's birthday. I have actually wanted to bake a mango mousse cake. However, I could not find any nice and good mangoes around this time. In the end, I settled on a devil's food cake taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Roses's Heavenly Cakes book. It's extremely chocolatey and moise because it contained 99% cocoa chocolate and cocoa powder and sour cream. Can you taste it with your imagination?
The cake is sliced horizontally into 3 layers and sandwiched with chocolate ganache. I used Valrhona 64% Manjari chocolate for the ganache. I love this Manjari chocolate as it's not as bitter as the 70% Guanjana chocolate I used to use. It's quite well balanced and kids will not find it too bitter. This cake is eventually dressed with a layer of Valrhona chocolate glaze. The only bug I have with this cake is that I couldn't make a beautiful glaze. The temperature of the chocolate mixture is very important towards making a beautiful glaze. Too high a temperature, the chocolate will be too thin and runny. A little lower than 32 degree celsius, it will become a little too thick for a smooth glaze, like what happened here.
This cake will definitely appeal to all chocoholics. For a lighter texture, you can actually replace the chocolate butter cake base with a chocolate sponge cake soaked with syryp, like the Awfully Chocolate Cake I posted sometime back.


Here's a family photo with my fourth uncle and aunt to mark the special occasion.


No comments:

You might also like this:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...