I would say I have finally perfected baking the pandan chiffon cake after many tries. At least this is the verdict given by family and friends who have tried it. Pandan chiffon cake, anyone?
Egg yolk mixture:
6 egg yolks
3 tbsp Pandan juice
120g coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
40g corn oil
½ tsp Pandan Paste
60g castor sugar
Egg White Mixture:
6 egg white
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
80g castor sugar
115g cake flour
¾ tsp baking powder
(1) Mix all the egg yolk ingredients together and stir till smooth.
(2) Sift the cake flour and baking powder over the egg yolk mixture and fold gently.
(3) Whisk egg white using medium speed till foamy stage. Add in cream of tartar. Increase speed to medium high until soft peak stage and gradually pour in the sugar. Whisk at high speed until stiff peak forms.
(4) Take 1/3 of egg white mixture and fold gently into the egg yolk mixture. Pour this mixture into the egg white mixture and fold gently until well blended. Use a large balloon whisk or rubber spatula to fold.
(5) Pour into a 9" (23 cm) tube pan.
(6) Bake at 190°C for first 10 minutes followed by 180°C for about 20 to 25 min or until a tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
(7) Remove from oven, invert cake onto cooling rack until completely cooled before removing from the pan.
(8) Slice and serve.