Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sinfully Chocolate 'N' Crunch


As the title implies, this cake is oozing with chocolate and crunch. It may be too rich and sinful to those who are watching their waistlines. But it's for my nephew's 16th birthday. He loves chocolate cakes. I suggested manago mousse cake because Thai honey mango is in season and I have been baking chocolate cakes for him the past few birthdays. Nope, he said. Chocolate cake still wins and it is to be filled with crunchy chocolate pearls between the 2 layers. Okay, his wish is my command.


I was wondering how should I decorate the cake. With fruits, nuts or more chocolate? In the end, I decided on more chocolate, crunchy chocolate. I was at Candy Empire@Vivo City one day. I usually did not pay much attention to the array of chocolates and candies when I was there with my daughter the last few times coz there's nothing I want to buy. But this time it was different. I have a purpose. Wow! I was amazed by the great varieties of chocolates and candies. And they are all so tempting. It makes you want to buy everything. I wanted to buy a pack of 'Have a break, have a kitkat'. I noted the price before I have to rush off to meet my husband somewhere in the mall. It was something like $7 for a pack of 6. Then I was at Cold Storage. Kitkat is on sale. $4.95 for a pack of 12. Hey! That's so cheap compared to the one at Candy Empire. I happily bought the one from Cold Storage. While walking to the carpark, I wanted to show my hubby the one at Candy Empire. We inspected the packet and found that it is made in Australia with Australian recipe. The ones at Cold Storage is international recipe made in Thailand. That's the difference. I should buy 1 pack of the Australian recipe and taste how different it is from the international recipe. Just like Milo, the Made in Australia recipe is more expensive than the Made in Singapore recipe.

Besides using the kitkat to decorate the sides of the cake (that means the frosting at the sides need not to be so smooth and perfect ...), I bought chocolate malt balls, chocolate crunch sticks and cookies N cream Hershey chocolate squares to adorn the top of the cake. Tada .... It's done! All so chocolaty and crunchy. Chocolate lovers will definitely cannot resist it.


Sinfully Chocolate 'N' Crunch
For the chocolate genoise cake recipe, please click here.
For a 7" round cake recipe, you can use 80% of the recipe. However, if you want a higher cake and to make up for the loss of volume if you happen to overfold the batter, you can use the full recipe.

Chocolate Ganache
240g bittersweet chocolate (55%-60% average)
300g heavy cream
  1. Break the chocolate into pieces and process in a food processor until very fine. Or you can chop them until very fine.
  2. Heat the cream to just the boiling point. Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate pieces. Let it rest for about 5 minutes.
  3. Using a rubber, spatula, gently mix the chocolate and cream together until well blended and smooth.
  4. Let it cool for several hours until of frosting consistency.
Ingredients for adorning the cake
Crunchy chocolate pearls (You can use any types that you like; I used Valrhona here)
A pack of 12-14 kit kats
Chocolate balls, sticks and squares

Assembly

  1. Slice the cake into 2 equal layers.
  2. Place a little ganache on the centre of the cardboard round before placing the first layer of chocolate cake onto it. This is to prevent the cake from moving.
  3. Using a spatula, spread a layer of chocolate ganache over the cake. Place the crunchy chocolate pearls on top of the ganache. Spread another thin layer of ganache over it.
  4. Place the second layer of chocolate cake over the ganache.
  5. Frost the sides of the cake first followed by the top with the chocolate ganache.
  6. Place the kit kat bars evenly round the sides of the cake. You may have to cut 3/4 of the bars depending on the height of your finished cake.
  7. Decorate the top of the cake with the chocolate balls, sticks and squares.

No comments:

You might also like this:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...