This cake is extremely light, healthy and bursting with coffee. It uses only corn oil, no butter. Great for those who want to cut down on saturated fat and yet still able to have his/her cake. I use Nescafe instant coffee granules dissolved in hot water. You can choose the amount of coffee granules or replace with your favourite cup of espresso. This recipe uses 3 tbsp of instant coffee granules and it's just right for me, a coffee lover. Recipe is posted here. Try baking it and share your comments with me. Or you can always ask me to bake one for you to try ................
Egg yolk mixture:
6 egg yolks3 tbsp (15g) instant coffee granules dissolved in 75ml boiling water
45ml fresh milk/evaporated milk
¼ tsp salt
60g corn oil
55g castor sugar *
Egg White Mixture:
6 egg white
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
80g castor sugar
120g cake flour
¾ tsp baking powder
* 60g castor sugar if you prefer a little sweeter
(1) Mix all the egg yolk ingredients together and stir till smooth.
(2) Sift the cake flour and baking powder over the egg yolk mixture and fold gently.
(3) Whisk egg white using medium speed till foamy stage. Add in cream of tartar. Increase speed to medium high until soft peak stage and gradually pour in the sugar. Whisk at high speed until stiff peak forms.
(4) Take 1/3 of egg white mixture and fold gently into the egg yolk mixture. Pour this mixture into the egg white mixture and fold gently until well blended. Use a large balloon whisk or rubber spatula to fold.
(5) Pour into a 9" (23 cm) tube pan.
(6) Bake at 190°C for first 10 minutes followed by 180°C for about 20 to 25 min or until a tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
(7) Remove from oven, invert cake onto cooling rack until completely cooled before removing from the pan.
(8) Slice and serve.