Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Steam Minced Pork with Salted Yolk

 
It's been a long, long, ........... time since I last blogged. Have been busy watching over and coaching my twelve-old son for the all-important PSLE. That's just one excuse. Have lost the momentum, or would I say enthusiasm for setting up the food I have baked or cooked for photo-taking, uploading them into the computer and blog. Told myself I have to restart my blogging engine and here is the first blog entry after many months of absence.
I bought the A Taste Of Home book by Sam Leong and this Steam Minced Pork with Salted Yolk is one of the first and many dishes from the book that I tried. I love the recipes in this book, easy and delicious, and definitely a taste of home-cooked food. I love the homemade soy sauce recipe very much. It's easy to prepare and can be used in Hong Kong Style steam fish. You must give this recipe a try.
My family simply loves this dish. You can just have this with plain rice or porridge, especially after days of too much unhealthy food and you yearn for some simple comfort food. Hope that you will like it too.



Ingredients
400g Minced pork shoulder
1 tbsp minced pork fat (I omitted this)
30g corriander stems, minced
3 water chestnuts, peeled and minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp light soy sauce
1 egg whote
Pinch of ground white pepper
Dash of sesame oil
Corn oil as needed
4 salted egg yolks
200 ml homemade soy sauce
Spring onion, minced

Method
1.  Combine all ingredients, except corn oil, salted egg yolks, homemade soy sauce and spring onions, in a mixing bowl and mix well.
2.  Apply some corn oil on the inside of 4 small stainless steel cups, Chinese teacups or rice bowls ** (I used 1 big dish instead), then spoon pork mixture in to fill the cups/bowls.
3. Place cups/bowls in a steamer and steam for 1 hour or until minced pork is cooked.
4.  Turn the cups/bowls over and the meat will slide out. Serve with homemade soy sauce. Garnish with spring onion.

(Note: Adding pork fat makes these steamed minced pork flavourful and juicy. You can omit the pork fat for a healthier option, but the resulting dish will not be as moist and tasty.)

No comments:

You might also like this:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...