Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sugar Roll

I bet most of us know about the famous Polar sugar rolls. How about the ones from Dino? I love those from Dino. The combination of the soft sponge and the delicious vanilla buttercream is hard to resist. You can have it anytime. It is so light you can easily have two at one go.
I have been searching for a perfect sponge cake recipe to make this sugar roll. I found it at Aunty Yochana's blog (Sugar Roll @Aunty Yochana). I baked the first sugar roll using her recipe and modified the recipe for my second sugar roll. I wanted to create a sponge that is more moist and dense. I did this by adding an additional egg yolk and some warm fresh milk and using 80% cake flour and 20% plain flour. It is indeed more moist and denser. But my son and hubby prefer the original version that is lighter and fluffier. I am happy with what I have baked but I'm not done yet. I will be experimenting with different sponge cake again soon to find the ultimate light, soft and fine sponge cake. Do share your recipe with me if you have what I'm looking for.

Since I made two different sponge cake, I used this opportunity to create two different buttercream flavour. This first one is plain old vanilla buttercream and the second one is coffee buttercream. I did not make the simple buttercream but the fancier Swiss Meringue buttercream which is lighter and fluffier. The addition of eggwhite makes the Swiss Meringue buttercream lighter and it definitely tastes better than just butter and sugar creamed together. Besides, eggwhite gives you protein.


Sugar Roll

Swiss Meringue Buttercream
1 large egg white

35g sugar
Pinch of salt
90g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
⅛ tsp vanilla essence

**For coffee flavour, add 1/4 tsp coffee extract and 1/4 tsp coffee liqueur

(1) Combine egg white, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly by hand until mixture is warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved.

(2) Attach the bowl to a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Starting on low speed and gradually increasing to medium-high speed, whisk until stiff peak forms. Continue beating until the mixture is fluffy and glossy and completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl).
(3) With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Once all butter has been added, whisk in the vanilla essence.
(4) Switch to the paddle attachment, and continue beating on low speed until all bubbles are eliminated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue beating until the frosting is completely smooth.
(5) Use immediately or transfer it into an air-tight bowl and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

(Serves 10 slices)






No comments:

You might also like this:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...